Our History


The Lutheran School of Saint Luke has been serving the community since 1883. The school served as a center for Lutheran gatherings which led, in 1907, to the founding of the Lutheran Church of Saint Luke.

After the parish was formally organized on July 14, 1907, the charter members provided funds to purchase land at the top of the hill on Walnut Street, erect the historic steeple church, and call a pastor. Everything was in working order so that the dedication of the building could take place on the Sunday before Christmas, less than six months after the formal founding of the congregation.

In 1945 Pastor Kurt Grotheer started in a 23-year ministry during which Saint Luke was transformed into a suburban parish with a new school (1961) and church (1962) complex at Washington and Rush Streets. Continued growth led to the expansion of the educational complex in 1975 and 2001. Saint Luke also served the church at large when a series of pastors entered leadership positions in the Missouri Synod and its universities.

As it entered the new century the church in Itasca was adopting million-dollar budgets to sustain a variety of ministries. Membership growth moderated as Itasca reached maturity and the congregation became more of a metropolitan parish, reaching out to an expanding geographical area especially with its Early Childhood education and Day Care programs.

For a more detailed historical account, see The Lutheran Church of St. Luke: A Centennial History, a 102 page illustrated account published in 2007, available through the church office.